Please write about...

Dickerson 41

Dickerson 41 ketch, the poor man's Island Packet. Sturdy, proven, oodles of storage and good looking.

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    D  WogamanD Wogaman shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I love the Dickerson 41 it is a great boat and looks very nice under sail. Bill

• Anonymous commented  · 

Looking at the comments, this must be where owners come to vote for their own boat!

• Barry CreightonBarry Creighton commented  · 

With greatest respect and deference to D, I agree with Neville and Louise and suggest that Island Packet would do well to build a boat as good as the Dickerson 41. There is a wonderful story to tell here about a great boat designer and a small company of dedicated and skilled craftsmen perfecting the arts learned from their fathers on Maryland's Eastern Shore. The result--a top-ten Blue Water Cruiser--Ferenc Mate has it right. Review it!
        Barry
        Dickerson 37 #22
        "Crew Rest"

• B. MacIntyreB. MacIntyre commented  · 

Such fond memories of this spacious comfortable boat sailing the North Channel at the top of Lake Huron. We took it into the smallest of places as we explored the NE corner of Georgian Bay. I love the center cockpit where we all wined and dined and told our tall sailor tales. She was an easy boat to sleep on, loved sleeping in the cockpit. The galley was compact and efficient. Overnight passages were wonderful on such a sturdy boat. Fantastic cruising boat!! B MacIntyre

• Kaye T.Kaye T. commented  · 

The Dickerson 41 ketch is worth some attention. It's craftmanship is beyond compare.

• Neville LewisNeville Lewis commented  · 

This is a wonderful boat. I owned the first one, (wooden) named her Southern Cross and sailed her around the world 1975 to 1979. She is still sailing, now owned by Don and D Wogaman. I don't think it should be called the poor man's island packet. I don't know anyone who owns one that is poor!! This is a very capeable boat easily handled by two people. Not a racing boat but a great cruiser. Neville and Louise Lewis 207-354-8055

• Bruce FranzBruce Franz commented  · 

Ferenc Mate has listed the Dickerson 41 and 37 in his book, "The World's Best Sailboats". I have owned a 41 for 17 years, and have traveled the Atlantic Intra-Coastal Waterway about 20 times. It has a full keel, 5 ft. draft, and protected prop. It is one of the most comfortable boats to sail.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I have owned a D41 for 16 years now. My family of five lived aboard in for a year and cruised the East Coast and Bahamas. The boat is stable, dry and a delight to sail. It is also a tank when you need to power through unfavorable conditions. The D41 is the best boat I have owned and is certainly in the top ten boats ever built. I look forward to your review/article.
        Thanks,
        PNL
        USCG Master 100 Ton Sail/Steam

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Yes, I would like to see an article about Dickerson 41

• Anonymous commented  · 

Contact the Dickerson Owners Association if you would like to have a half-hull model built of your Dickerson 41. The cost is vert reasonable. This offer expires on February 15, 2013

Joe Slavin jws2827@aol.com

• Anonymous commented  · 

I have owned and rebuilt a Dickerson 41 for 5 years. Currently living aboard, have taken sistership to the Virgins and followed the ones who are all over the globe. It is a wonderful sturdy go anywhere craft, that looks great. My wife and I are 3 years away from our big adventure.

• mm commented  · 

This boat is one of the top ten of all time - to not review it is an outrage.

Feedback and Knowledge Base