Please write about...

Rawson 30

The Rawson 30 is a proven bluewater cruiser that has many circumnavigations. Most owners have the Rawson 30 sailboat, sloop or cutter rigged, some with pilot houses. The Rawson 30 sailboat was designed by William Garden and built by Ron Rawson in Washington State and Canada, there were 252 sloops and 36 pilot house models built between 1959 and 1985. The Rawson 30 fiberglass sailboat is known for its strength, and many have been circumnavigating in this boat for decades.

73 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I used to sail on my uncles Rawson. It had horrible weather helm - worst I've ever experienced. We could never get it to balance. It was a slow boat as well. About the only thing going for it was the hull was strong.

• michaelmichael commented  · 

As a former rawson 30 owner for 25 years, some people don't know the boat. I cruised sea of cortez for 3 years and light air is not an issue with proper sails. Anything over 8 knots and I had hull speed. I loved the PHRF for beer can races.

• JakeJake commented  · 

Not somewhat slow in light air, tragically slow. Look up the PHRF. Many were kit boats, and they suffered from sever weather helm. Bulletproof hull is about the only thing going for them. Dated design that doesn't hold up well.

• Furious StylesFurious Styles commented  · 

The Rawson 30 is also recommended by James Baldwin of www.atomvoyages.com. Jamie Bryson, wife Marge, and their 14 year old son Stewart did a 5 year circumnavigation in their Rawson Ave Del Mar.

Rawson 30 - LOA: 32'6" LOD: 30'6" LWL: 22' Beam: 9' Draft: 5' Displacement: 12,500 lbs. Ballast: 5,000 lbs. Sail area: 565 sq.ft. General Comments: William Garden design. Some 250 sloops, as well as some pilothouse versions and ketch rigs were built in Redmond, WA from about 1960-84. Pluses: 6'3" - headroom if you happen to need it. Minuses: Heavy and therefore somewhat slow in light air, though a bowsprit was added to later models to increase sail area and reduce weather helm. Offered also as owner finished kit boat with resulting variable finish quality.

Feedback and Knowledge Base